Sunday, May 17, 2015

Civil Engineering as A Career

Hello there!




I'm going to talk about my career choice which is Civil Engineering, and why I chose this.

First and foremost, what is a civil engineer? Literally, it is a very broad field and can't quite be defined in one sentence. Well, there are lots of different paths in civil engineering, like environmental, structural, traffic, architectural and many more. Generally, civil engineers work for the betterment of a place or city. They do various projects like designing bridges, roads, power plants, buildings and virtually everything you see when take a walk downtown. In other words, everything that makes up physical civilization.


Civil engineers deal with lots of mathematics and physics. Also, they have to be very critical when making decision, as a slight miscalculation would equal chaos. Of course, projects are not individual works and thus, they have to work as team which comprises contractors, architects and lots of engineers in various fields.


Now let's talk about why I chose this career. Firstly, I really didn't know what to choose after I finished my SPM. But what I know is that I love science and arts. Initially I wanted to be an architect but somehow, I learned that Civil Engineering is a perfect mix of science, maths and arts. (Though it's more to maths).

Secondly, the career prospects of a Civil engineer is very wide that you can fit in any industries such as oil and gas, power plant and construction, Although in Malaysia, this career is overlooked, trust me it's worth it and as our nation progresses, more civil engineers will be needed.

Salary wise, civil engineers are paid well, though a little bit less than mechanical or chemical engineers in early phase of careers.  But as reported in eduspiral.com (http://eduspiral.com/top-ten-highest-paying-jobs-in-malaysia-according-to-jobstreet/) , as a senior manager (which is roughly after 15-20 years of working) , civil engineering is ranked at No.10 highest paying jobs, only behind petroleum engineering and electrical engineering (in engineering field).

For more infos:Civil Engineers Salary Malaysia

The working environment of a civil engineer is also very fun and diverse. Well, I don't know much but from what I have researched, mechanical engineers spend most of their time in workshop, and petroleum engineering most probably off-shore. But a civil engineer doesn't only work in office to plan and design but also survey construction sites and get hands-on with their work. I don't like sitting on my chairs 24/7.

Personally, what attracted me most to choose this career is the fact that I am so fascinated when I see buildings. It's really weird but you know the feeling of amusement and amazement when you see something? Yes, I see that in structures. During my visit to Japan, I was also amazed by the structural technology they applied in which the buildings could withstand major earthquakes and disasters. It's really amazing and beautiful. And to top it off, personally I would like to play a part in something big that stands through test of time, that is civilization.

Thanks for reading and I hope you would benefit something from this post. It's been awhile and If you have any questions just comment below.

For further infos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBeNV3oliU
http://whatiscivilengineering.csce.ca/civil1.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Have a nice day